Friday, April 26, 2013

Movie World VS. Real Word

We all have those moments were we just wish that our lives were like those in the movies. We all wish that those prince charming characters or princesses will be out their for us. We wish we could go on some great adventure and go off to save the day, but the sad truth is life isn't a movie.

I know that I wish I could go on an adventure with Indiana Jones, but what are the odds of that ever happening? I just recently went through a breakup and someone said to me "Don't worry, you're a film major. You know how it ends. He will be all romantic and show up to apologize with flowers." REALLY?! Thats the advice I get? How can people be tricked into that idea that their life will be just like the movies?

As a kid, starting with Disney movies, it seems like kids are getting ideas that their life can be like that of all the Disney princesses. Boys want to be like all the action heroes that save the day and fight the dragons.

Emma Stone's character of Olive in Easy A puts it best when she says this...

Everyone would want this! Hell I honestly wish my relationship was as romantic as a movie sometimes. Coming home to roses forming a path to the dinning room where a romantic dinner is set up and my boyfriend there waiting. I want to go to graduation and when I have my diploma in hand I want to look up and see him standing there waiting for me. I wish he would be at my door step with flowers for me when I get home from work to say sorry.  But as she said, my life isn't a good 80s movie.

Films are made to over fantasize all emotions and life experiences. If a character loses someone its not a simple death, no, rather they are hit by a car and thrown from the road so the body is never found. And somehow everyone viewer will "relate" to this.

This blog is more of a rant, but am I missing something in the world? Why do people think their life will be that of one in a movie? Why do we strive to relate with characters we have NOTHING in common with?

Things about the film world I'll never understand.

But tell me, have you seen this before in life? Even if it's yourself, is there something you see in the film world you wish could happen?

2 comments:

  1. I love that movie first off! Second, I think there re certain aspects of movie life in real life, it's jut not always so smooth running. Idk I will always remember my first kiss, and dancing in the rain with no music, how my boyfriend asked me out again on our three month because he didn't think the first time he did it was romantic enough, and how he planned out every aspect of my birthday last year just to make it special. I thought it was really sweet.

    I guess in a way we strive to be other people though because that is what the media plays it out to be. Even while growing up we listen to fairy tales of happy ever after. I mean I believe you could live happily ever after, but it never works out as simply as it does in those stories. Idk why they can't make a movie where the princess doesn't fall in love. It makes it seem like women can't be independent. It makes it seem like women need men as an escape. Cinderella, for example, lived as a maid in her stepmother's castle. Why couldn't the moral be that she decided to stand up for herself- she found a job and made a life for her own by moving out? In real life there will come times where you will hit bumps and paths. It's a choice though that you have to make- is it worth it to fix them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Life is pain, get used to it," Charlie Baltimore in The Long Kiss Goodnight. It sounds like a cruel thing to say to a child, but I believe it's much more damaging to shield them from the reality of disappointment. (Age appropriate of course)

    I can empathize with you. It never turns out the way Hollywood promises. I figured that out early on, and began to view Tinsel town versions as fantasy instead of possibility. Did the nerds in Weird Science really gain acceptance? Did the weird girl in Breakfast Club get nominated for prom queen? Did everyone simultaneously decide the dress Molly Ringwald wore in Pretty in Pink was anything other than hideous? My guess is you already know…

    Be pragmatic about it; take Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf for example. Martha is a middle-aged alcoholic mess who resents her “flop” of a husband. Her husband George despises her bossy shrillness, and medicates his ears with gallons of gin. It’s not a pretty picture.

    For most of us, “Happy Ever After” isn’t a Park Avenue penthouse, or a moldy cardboard box; it lies somewhere in between.

    I’d like there to be a real Serial Mom. Someone nice and sweet who lives in the perfect house, and has the perfect family, but suddenly snaps- for the right reasons. Serial Mom is a vigilante seeking rude, selfish, and inconsiderate people to punish for their asshole-ism. In my version, she doesn’t use deadly force; they face public shaming. It could work….

    ReplyDelete